With its clean, and orderly quilt-style pattern, and subtle ecclesiastical, classic aesthetic, our 'Washington' decorative screen design is aptly named, and inspires an early American, colonial interior decorating style. It is also a highly versatile design, however, and looks just as fabulous in modern settings as in the installation projects we share here among colonial style inspiration.
This charming pattern nimbly rests between classical folk and stylishly modern. It has a 60% block-out rating, making it the ideal choice for a very light scattering of sunshine if used as a shade as in the photograph above, or as a privacy partition in the one below.
'Washington' was the choice design of this year's House Rules contestants Danielle and Ben, who painted it bright red and installed it as a side partition on the patio of their backyard reveal.
Though this design looks fabulous in these modern settings, if it were to be styled around its more classical aspects I imagine it would suit an Early American colonial interior decorating style extremely well. It could be used as a shade cover on the outside of upper floor windows, as a foyer partition, stair and balcony banister, or for something simple such as a wall hanging over a bed. Here are some good examples of the early American colonial style:
It's a clean, uncluttered aesthetic that features functional, versatile furniture with a natural or rustic finish in a plain or classical style. It is composed with natural colors with warm undertones of black or brown.
Pewter, brass, and tin metal decorative objects are a common element, as are handmade textiles like hooked rugs, needlepoint pillows, knit blankets, and crocheted doilies. If you like this style, here are some rustic colonial products I found online that are available now:
- Folk crow dinnerware by Park Designs via Flower Patch Blessings. This online shop is overflowing with absolutely charming rustic country table linens, tableware, and decorative objects.
- Ladderback raffia chairs are an extremely iconic colonial furnishing. I found this set available on eBay for a mere $70 (located in Katoomba, NSW).
- Beautiful white magnolia needlepoint pillow by Richard Rothstein. There is a large and beautiful selection in his online shop.
- Traditional diamond pattern handmade oilcloth rug by Beautiful Floor Cloth via Etsy
- Napkin and Salt & Pepper Caddy via Flower Patch Blessings.